[syslinux-announce] SYSLINUX 3.11 released
H. Peter Anvin
hpa at zytor.com
Fri Sep 2 20:59:31 PDT 2005
Changes in 3.11:
* MEMDISK: Fix bug by which accessing the real floppy disk
as B: in MS-DOS was broken.
* Simple menu system: allow tweaking of the screen layout.
* Simple menu system: better command-line editing, correctly
handle command lines above 256 characters.
* PXELINUX: revert memory allocation change that caused
problems on some network cards.
* MEMDISK: Try work around a bug on some BIOSes when no
physical floppy disk is present in the system.
* Enable the 16550A FIFOs, if present, when doing serial
* New "totaltimeout" command establishes a timeout without
regard for any user input.
* Simple menu system: timeout behaviour now more in line with
Changes in 3.10:
* gcc 4.0.1 compilation fixes.
* Add support for querying the PCI BIOS in libcom32
(used by ethersel et al.)
* Fix PCI handing (ethersel etc) on several old chipsets (and
* Try to deal with systems with broken EBIOS.
* New API call to do "localboot".
* New API call to query features.
* New API call to run kernel image, a lower-level call than
"run command". See comboot.doc.
* Fix for bug in EBIOS code discovered by Arwin Vosselman.
* NOESCAPE security fix.
* Comments are now recognized even without a space following #.
* Fix incorrect handling of mixes of entries with and without
* The idle API call now harmlessly returns failure if it is a
no-op. That way the caller can decide whether or not to
bother invoking it again.
* Temporarily disable the idle API call on PXELINUX, due to
some platforms on which the idle API call seems to hang; this
problem has not yet been debugged.
* MEMDISK: the handling of DOSEMU-headered images was broken;
* EXTLINUX: symlinks are now supported.
* Simple menu system: N and P now work correctly as hotkeys.
* MEMDISK: more BIOS bug workarounds.
Description: SYSLINUX is a collection of boot loaders for the Linux
operating system which operates off Linux ext2/3
filesystems, MS-DOS FAT filesystems, network servers
using PXE firmware, or from CD-ROMs. The FAT
filesystem version can be installed from DOS, NT, or
It includes a sophisticated API for add-on "COM32"
modules, including a significant subset of the
standard C library.
It also includes MEMDISK, a tool to boot legacy
operating systems from nontraditional media like PXE
Keywords: syslinux pxelinux isolinux extlinux msdos boot loader
floppy install network ext2 ext3 pxe iso9660 cdfs
Author: hpa at zytor.com (H. Peter Anvin)
Maintained-by: hpa at zytor.com (H. Peter Anvin)
Primary-site: ftp.kernel.org /pub/linux/utils/boot/syslinux
Alternate-site: ibiblio.org /pub/Linux/system/boot/loaders
Platforms: DOS or Linux to install. Linux, perl and nasm 0.98.38 or
later required to build from source.
More information about the SYSLINUX-announce