[syslinux-announce] SYSLINUX 3.36 released
H. Peter Anvin
hpa at zytor.com
Sat Feb 10 13:18:48 PST 2007
Changes in 3.36:
* MEMDISK: Disable EDD by default on floppy disks. EDD can be
enabled with the "edd" option and disabled with "noedd".
This (hopefully) should make Ghost work again.
* SYSLINUX: "unix" installer now uses Linux ioctls instead of
* New MBR which can boot from logical partitions.
* SYSLINUX: Fix bug in detecting special extensions which was
introduced in 3.35 :(
* PXELINUX: Unbreak chainbooting FreeBSD (and possibly others.)
Changes in 3.35:
* MEMDISK: New "safeint" mode.
* MEMDISK: Be more compliant with the PnP BIOS spec.
* MEMDISK: Turn on EDD support by default.
* MEMDISK: Try to work on some machines on which it would not
work when there was no floppy drive in the system.
* Simple menu system: fix serial console support (broken in
* SYSLINUX: Support subdirectories. Like ISOLINUX, the
"current directory" is the directory in which syslinux.cfg
is found; this is searched for in the sequence
/boot/syslinux, /syslinux, /. As a side benefit, label names
like "linux-2.6.18" and "linux-2.6.19" are now supported.
To install ldlinux.sys in a subdirectory, pass the -d
directory option to the SYSLINUX installer.
This work was sponsored by slax.org (thanks, Tomas!)
* New API call: read disk.
* Invoke ONERROR on initrd load failure.
Description: SYSLINUX is a collection of boot loaders for the Linux
operating system which operates off Linux ext2/3
filesystems, MS-DOS FAT filesystems, network servers
using PXE firmware, or from CD-ROMs. The FAT
filesystem version can be installed from DOS, NT, or
It includes a sophisticated API for add-on "COM32"
modules, including a significant subset of the
standard C library.
It also includes MEMDISK, a tool to boot legacy
operating systems from nontraditional media like PXE
Keywords: syslinux pxelinux isolinux extlinux msdos boot loader
floppy install network ext2 ext3 pxe iso9660 cdfs
Author: hpa at zytor.com (H. Peter Anvin)
Maintained-by: hpa at zytor.com (H. Peter Anvin)
Primary-site: ftp.kernel.org /pub/linux/utils/boot/syslinux
Alternate-site: ibiblio.org /pub/Linux/system/boot/loaders
Platforms: DOS or Linux to install. Linux, perl and nasm 0.98.38 or
later required to build from source.
More information about the SYSLINUX-announce