[syslinux-announce] SYSLINUX 3.50-pre16 released ... RELEASE CANDIDATE
H. Peter Anvin
hpa at zytor.com
Thu May 31 17:15:45 PDT 2007
I have finally gotten SYSLINUX 3.50 what it feels like feature-complete
for release, or something pretty close to it. As a consequence, I am
declaring 3.50-pre16 a release candidate. Here is what's news since 3.36:
Changes in 3.50:
* New keywords allow the type of file to be specified in the
* It is now supported to load a different configuration file
with the CONFIG keyword.
* Fix API call 0x0019 (Read Disk.)
* MENU AUTOBOOT, MENU TABMSG, MENU PASSPROMPT allows
internationalization of menu messages.
* A new feature, TEXT HELP, allows the administrator to set
a multi-line help message for individual selections.
* Fix API call 0x0012 (Cleanup, shuffle and boot.)
* New API call "Cleanup, shuffle and boot to flat protected
* New API call "Cleanup, shuffle and boot to real mode",
similar to API call 0x0012 but allows arbitrary register
* Introduce a library interface for loading arbitrary binary
formats with relatively easily understood code. See
the elf.c32 module for an example on how to use it.
* New module "elf.c32", to load a protected-mode ELF kernel.
* MBR (old and new): Fix bug in CHS mode when LBA >
* vesamenu: fix decoding of palettized PNG images.
* Update the Linux kernel boot protocol.
* PXELINUX: Press Ctrl-N at the boot prompt to read out the
* Instead of the (non-existent) MAC, use the client identifier
for networks like Infiniband and Firewire/1394.
* Add a new INCLUDE command to the core syslinux parser.
* Allow binding help text to F11 and F12.
* F-key help now available in the simple menu system.
* Disabled the polling for ARP during idle. It is simply too
slow on some (broken!) PXE stacks.
I appreciate any and all help with testing, the sooner the better; and
if you have reported bugs that I have forgotten please be kind enough to
More information about the SYSLINUX-announce