[syslinux-announce] Syslinux 4.04 released
H. Peter Anvin
hpa at zytor.com
Mon Apr 18 14:42:42 PDT 2011
After way too long, a new production release of Syslinux is finally
Syslinux 4.04 is primarily a bug fix release, but with some new
Changes in 4.04:
* PXELINUX: Fix handling of unqualified DNS names.
* PXELINUX: Fix timer bug when PXELINUX might be unloaded
* core/writedec.inc: Fix duplicate declaration and overflow
* GCC 4.5 fixes.
* sample directory: Fix Makefile include (Gene Cumm).
* ver.com: New universal DOS/COMBOOT application to display
version information (includes DRMK) (Gene Cumm).
* rosh.c32: updated; Using getopt() for internal commands to aid
parsing options; Fix bugs in ls; add warm reboot and echo
* com32: fix a file descriptor leak.
* gfxboot.c32: handle TEXT..ENDTEXT; error out on no LABELs
found (Sebastian Herbszt).
* Fix booting on non-partitioned devices.
* MBR, isohybrid: Workaround for a BIOS issue on Acer
Travelmate and possibly other machines.
* COM32: Adding ACPI parsing libary
* HDT: Release 0.4.1 to support ACPI parsing,
improved mutli-core/cpu reporting
* LUA: Updating to 5.1.4-2
* SYSLINUX: core/diskstart.inc: Reset DS after checksum in case
it isn't 0 (Gene Cumm).
* win64: Script update for additional mingw compiler names
* diag: New directory for diagnostic-related tools. Add a
handoff MBR/VBR and geometry display images (Gene Cumm).
* MEMDISK: use "mem=" parameter to mark available memory above
this point as reserved (core already does alignment) (Gene Cumm).
* MEMDISK: Additional disk probe checks and debug output
(Shao Miller, Gene Cumm).
* gpxe: add gpxelinuxk.0, based off of undionly.kpxe + new
script (Gene Cumm).
* isohybrid: install the isohdpfx*.bin/isohdppx*.bin files to
make isohybrid images in one step with GNU xorriso.
* PXELINUX: disable a hack that would make localboot work on
some machines, but break just about as many. Some machines
which worked with "localboot 0" in previous versions may
need "localboot -1" in this one. If you have a machine
which requires "localboot -1", a copy of the dmidecode
or sysdump output would be appreciated.
* Include a set of diagnostics by Gene Cumm.
* Fixes for gcc 4.6 and binutils 2.21.51.
* chain.c32: Allow "uuid" as a synonym to "guid".
* Handle directory names starting with .. for vfat and
* New MENU HIDDENKEY command to provide a one-keystroke way to
activate a boot option from a hidden menu intro screen.
Description: SYSLINUX is a collection of boot loaders for the Linux
operating system which operates off Linux ext2/3/4 or
btrfs filesystems, MS-DOS FAT filesystems, network
servers using PXE firmware, or from CD-ROMs. The FAT
filesystem version can be installed from DOS, NT, or
It includes a sophisticated API for add-on "COM32"
modules, including a significant subset of the
standard C library.
It also includes MEMDISK, a tool to boot legacy
operating systems from nontraditional media like PXE
This version includes gPXE, to allow accessing network
files via other protocols than TFTP.
Keywords: syslinux pxelinux isolinux extlinux msdos boot loader
floppy install network ext2 ext3 ext4 btrfs pxe iso9660 cdfs
Author: hpa at zytor.com (H. Peter Anvin)
Maintained-by: hpa at zytor.com (H. Peter Anvin)
Primary-site: ftp.kernel.org /pub/linux/utils/boot/syslinux
6294749 Apr 18 14:25 syslinux-4.04.tar.gz
7524067 Apr 18 14:25 syslinux-4.04.zip
Platforms: DOS, Win32/64 or Linux to install. Linux, perl and NASM
later required to build from source.
Copying-policy: GPL, MIT
More information about the SYSLINUX-announce